Lilypie

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Joy And Sorrow

I have experienced a vast array of emotions this weekend. On Saturday, my close friends threw a baby shower for me that was absolutely lovely. It was so fun to have all of my girlfriends in one place and Anabelle got a bunch more cool stuff. I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful support system. I haven't had time to upload the pics but I will do that this week and post them.

This morning though, one of my best friends, Becca, sent me a text message that her Aunt Jane had taken a turn for the worse over the night. Becca has a very close knit family and her Aunt has been battling cancer for about the last 6 months. Since I grew up with Becca, I have spent a lot of time with her Aunt Jane over the years and her youngest son was friends with my brother, Aaron. I received another text message from Rebecca around noon saying that Jane had passed away. So, that was sad. Then I realized that tomorrow marks the 3 year anniversary of the death of my stepdad, Paul....things have just been so busy that I haven't been paying attention to the date.

Shortly after all of this, Don and I had to go to Baylor Hospital to begin our childbirth classes. The instructor started off by showing us a video of some births and it struck me as so profound that for these babies and for my baby, life is just beginning. Yet for other important people in my life, their journeys are ending. It awe struck me. But, you know, I actually feel really at peace with it all...especially during this Easter season when we are reminded that we have victory over death through the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

This was the obituary for my stepdad in 2006:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe it's been 3 years since paul passed away. :(

part of life is death, unfortunately. and, while i know that this doesn't take the pain away, but, i am comforted by the fact that those who we've lost are watching over us now.

plus, they are healed, they are whole again. and, we will see them again.

and, soon, we'll celebrate anabelle's birth & that is definitely something wonderful & amazing to look forward to! :)