Lilypie

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Jaundice

Being a new mommy is certainly stressful at times. Anabelle was diagnosed with Jaundice while in the hospital. This has affected her ability to nurse because it makes her very sleepy. But, it also means that she needs to nurse more often. I had a very hard time getting her to nurse yesterday after we got home from the hospital and I thought that it was because of gas. However, it turns out it was because her jaundice was getting worse. I finally decided to give her formula last night. This was totally traumatic to me because I am trying to get her to be a breast fed baby. But, it turns out, I did the right thing. We had to go to the hospital this morning to check up on her levels and they had gotten a lot worse over night. She probably would have had to be re-admitted had I not given her the formula. I was pretty emotional about the whole thing because if you commit to the nursing then her jaundice gets worse but if you give formula, you may ruin the chances of getting her to breastfeed properly. But, I talked with the pediatrician and a lactation consultant today and we have a plan. Hopefully, I can get this figured out soon. Here are some pics from today:

Naked Sun Therapy


With Mommy Getting Ready To Go To Baylor


Waiting For My Bloodwork With Daddy

4 comments:

Ashley Dixon said...

Of course you did the right thing. There will be plenty of time for her to get used to the breastfeeding; don't sweat it! I'm glad to hear you are settling in at home. Can't wait to hold her again!!

Anonymous said...

lauren,

she's beautiful! i can't believe she's already here!!! i do still want to come see you guys in august! :)

i'm with ashley...you did the right thing by giving her formula. making sure she's healthy is the most important thing. and, i know you feel better after meeting with the lactation consultant! :)

congrats again. i can't wait to meet her!

Haley said...

Lauren and Don- She is so beautiful! Congrats to you both- can't believe she's finally here and I'm an aunt. Emily and Maddie saw the pictures and are both very excited. They don't understand why that's not their sister though- having trouble comprehending the whole "cousin" thing. Emily said that was her best cousin. I thought that was cute :-) Anyway, you have a beautiful blessing and I know how much you love her already- it will get stronger everyday. Can't wait to see you all! Love, Haley

Becky said...

Congrats Lauren! Let me know when I can come up to see y'all (and bring dinner and help you out for a little bit). Jaundice is tough, but you are doing the right thing and you all will get through it. Hugs and Kisses to all of you from all of us!